Friday, August 13, 2010

Surfer Edwin Birthday Card for COHEN!

My friend Tiffany's son, Cohen, just had his 2-year old birthday party. She loves to do party planning as a hobby, but in my opinion, she needs to make it a profession! The theme was Chutes & Ladders and I'm telling you there was no detail of this party left out. From the wooden cut-outs, to the cake/snack table, to the party favors, to the table decorations, to the color of the drinks.....every detail was fabulous!! If you're a "boy" mom, you should definitely check out her blog at http://pedicurestopuddles.blogspot.com. She finds awesome "boy" party themes and cool "boy" clothing & stuff (and if you're a "boy" mom, you know how hard it is to find cute & cool boy things!).

I was told they were re-decorating Cohen's room from a "little baby" jungle theme to a "big boy" vintage surfer theme. I decided to make him a surfer birthday card and Name Frame. The image I used is called Surfer Edwin from the Magnolia Stamp Company. I did draw a little smile on my Surfer Edwin because I wasn't sure if the "no-mouth" thing would be weird for those that don't know about Magnolias, haha!

The paper on the card came from the DCWV Tahiti Beach paper pack. I colored his skin and hair with Copics. Then, I paper-pieced his wet suit from some blue paper in the Tahiti paper pack. I colored his surfboard with Martha Stewart Glitter Pens and Office Gel Glitter Pens (from Walmart). I added Close To My Heart Liquid Glass to the wet suit to make it look shiny (kinda hard to see in the picture). I found the sand at Basket Warehouse (an outlet for Hobby Lobby)...a huge jar for only $1.00.

The sentiment was printed from the computer, outlined in Office Gel Glitter Pens, and edges distressed with Tim Holtz distress ink in Vintage Photo. I adhered the sentiment and Edwin to the card with Pop-dots. The picture below shows the card from the side so you can see the dimension. I added pop-dots to the bottom rectangle piece also. The flowers at the top of the card were cut from a sheet of DP in the Tahiti Pack and orange buttons glued to the top. All 3 flowers are on pop-dots too.

Tiffany loved the card so much she said it was "frameable." I might just see it on the wall the next time I visit, haha! I kinda feel that way about most of the Maggie cards I see.... FRAMEABLE ART!

I saw the Magnolia Stamp Lovers blog is having a challenge here to use Edwin so I'm entering this in the challenge. The deadline to enter is this Saturday, August 14th....wish me luck!

Have a great week and thanks to all of you who leave me comments! They really lift me up and are very much appreciated! Stay tuned for my next post with the Name Frame using Surfer Edwin.

Hugs,
Rosemary :)

9 comments:

Candy said...

Hi Rosemary,
Good luck on the challenge blog with your nifty card!
Love what you have done with it. Great sand and love the font on your sentiment. Edwin is really cute with the smile you added to his face for the little guy. Your papers and design are really 'cool' :o)
Hugs, Candy

Rene said...

What a great card! I love his little mouth too...when I try to draw mouths on mine they look so weird but yours looks like it was part of the stamp!

Card Crazy said...

He's adorable. I love how he makes me giggle, Dude.
Sue S.

anaRy said...

AHA! I am so delighted with this surfer boy! You did a super cute job on this guy!! Loved the sand!
Hugs
anaRy

Lisette Morris said...

Great card! I love the way the sentiment is shaped. Perfect layout!

Leanne said...

Great card! I love anything Surfer related. Love that touch of the sand he's walking on. I'm sure Cohen is going to love it. Thanks for sharing! Have a nice weekend!!

Kathy Gerace said...

I'm sure your friend's son will really enjoy his "big boy" card. Great job coloring.
Kathy Gerace

Cindy said...

I'm always at a loss for boy cards - you've done a great job on this one - it's just super. Thanks for joining the MSL challenge. Cindy2

Vivi Casale said...

Great card Rosemary.. I'm Cohen will love it..
Thanks for joining us at MSL and Good luck!
xxx
Vivi